FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST
GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
You’d never guess this is a keto jam recipe! It has all of the flavor or regular jam, without the added sugar and carbs. This sugar free strawberry jam is thickened with chia seeds, which gives it great texture as well as a nutrition boost. And best of all, you can make this chia seed jam with just TWO ingredients (plus a couple of optional ones).
I served this keto strawberry jam on 90 second bread, but any kind would be delicious. (Plus, I have more serving ideas for you at the bottom of this post.) If you prefer jelly over jam, try making keto jelly instead.
You can easily make this an unsweetened jam recipe if your berries are sweet enough, but I almost always add powdered Besti to mine. It tastes like sugar, dissolves effortlessly, and doesn’t crystallize when you store your jam (unlike other sweeteners).
What Is Chia Seed Jam?
Chia jam is a jam recipe that is thickened with chia seeds instead of other thickeners, like sugar or pectin. The seeds make it naturally jammy and also adds plenty of nutrition to jam that’s normally mostly sugar.
Why You’ll Love This Keto Jam Recipe
- Sweet and juicy
- Thick with pieces of fruit + chia
- Takes just a few simple steps
- 30 minutes total to make
- Just 3 grams net carbs
- Contains healthy fats from chia seeds
Sugar Free Jam Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for sugar free strawberry jam, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Strawberries – Fresh strawberries are easiest to use because they can be sliced, but you can also use frozen sliced or chopped strawberries. Or feel free to make your keto jam raspberry, blueberry, or blackberry instead by swapping in those berries. (Did you know: Strawberries are keto, but all berries are on the list of keto fruit!)
- Chia seeds – They will help to thicken your keto jam, instead of sugar or pectin. Plus, they add a boost of nutrition.
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – Sweetener is optional, but recommended if you like a sweet jam. This is my go-to sweetener for jams because it’s natural, tastes like sugar, and won’t crystallize in the fridge… which is important since you’re unlikely to eat all the jam at once. You could also use powdered allulose for the same consistency, but might need a bit more of it. Powdered erythritol and most other sweetener brands are a last resort substitute, as they do tend to crystallize.
- Lemon zest – This is also optional, but helps bring out sweet, bright flavor in the berries.
How To Make Sugar Free Strawberry Jam
This section shows how to make sugar free jam with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Heat strawberries. Place strawberries in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until strawberries release liquid and soften.
- Mash. Use a spoon or potato masher to mash berries.
TIP: Blend if you prefer a smoother jam. If you don’t want berry pieces in your jam, puree with an immersion blender (or in a regular blender) at this step.
- Adjust sweetness. Check to see if jam is sweet enough. If it isn’t sweet enough for you, add sweetener to taste, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Thicken. Stir in chia seeds and lemon zest. Allow jam to cool to thicken.
TIP: Add more chia seeds for thicker jam. If you like your jam extra thick, add a couple additional teaspoons of chia seeds to reach the consistency you like. Keep in mind that the jam will continue to thicken when you refrigerate it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I thicken jam without sugar?
You can thicken jam without sugar by using chia seeds! Chia seeds are actually a great thickener for keto strawberry jam because it’s easy and healthy.
Chia seeds have protein, fiber, and healthy omega-3 fatty acids. No sugar needed in this chia berry jam.
Does sugar free jam have carbs?
Yes, most sugar free jam recipes (as well as store bought jams) will have some carbs if they are made with real fruit.
How many carbs are in sugar free strawberry jam?
There are just 3 grams net carbs in a serving (1 tablespoon) of this sugar free strawberry jam!
How long does chia seed jam last?
Store jam in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last about a week in the fridge.
Can you freeze chia seed jam?
Yes, you can freeze strawberry chia jam! It will last up to 3 months in the freezer. Simply thaw it out, give it a stir, and it’s ready to use again.
What To Serve With Chia Jam
This keto strawberry jam recipe is great spread on a slice of toasted almond flour bread, but it’s also delicious dolloped onto the breakfasts, desserts, and snacks below:
More Keto Strawberry Recipes
If you like this sugar free strawberry jam recipe, you might also like some of these other keto strawberry recipes:
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Sugar Free Keto Strawberry Jam Recipe (Chia Jam)
Learn how to make keto chia jam with 2 simple ingredients! This EASY sugar free strawberry jam recipe is sweet, thick, and just 2g sugar per serving.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Chilling Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Click or tap on the image below to play the video. It’s the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Place the strawberries into a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until the strawberries release a lot of liquid and soften.
Mash the strawberries with a spoon or potato masher. If you want super smooth jam without strawberry pieces, use an immersion blender to puree the berries.
Taste to check if the jam is sweet enough. Add sweetener to taste, if desired, 1 tablespoon at a time.
Remove from heat. Stir in the chia seeds and lemon zest, if using. Allow the jam to cool for 5-10 minutes to thicken.
For even thicker jam, add an additional 1-3 teaspoons chia seeds if desired. Jam will thicken more when refrigerated.
Serving size: 2 tbsp
Makes 1 cup jam.
Video Showing How To Make Chia Seed Jam:
Scroll up a bit to see the video for this recipe — it’s located directly above the ingredients list. It’s the easiest way to learn how to make Chia Seed Jam!
Amount per serving. Serving size in recipe notes above.
Total Carbs 5g
Net Carbs 3g
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!
Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂